Why is it always raining in London? London is known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and iconic landmarks, but it’s also infamous for its rainy weather. Many people wonder, “why is it always raining in London?” It’s a valid question, considering that the city seems to be perpetually under a grey cloud. In this article, we’ll explore the science behind London‘s weather patterns and find out why rain is such a common occurrence in the city.
Why is it always raining in London? Let’s find out!
Weather Patterns in London:
London has a temperate maritime climate, which means that it’s mild and damp all year round. The city’s weather is influenced by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and the prevailing winds that blow in from the west. These winds bring in moisture, which leads to frequent rainfall in the city.
The average annual rainfall in London is around 600 mm, with the wettest months being October and November. However, rain is possible in any month, so it’s always a good idea to be prepared for wet weather.
When’s The Best Time to Visit London?
If you’re looking to avoid the rain in London, the best time to visit is during the summer months of June, July, and August. These months tend to be the warmest and driest of the year, with average temperatures ranging from 18-22°C.
However, keep in mind that these months are also peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices. If you’re looking for a quieter time to visit, consider coming in the spring or autumn months.
Staying Dry in London:
If you’re visiting London, it’s important to be prepared for wet weather. Here are a few tips for staying dry:
- Get yourself a poncho, a waterproof jacket or an umbrella: I carry a reusable poncho in my handbag just in case it starts raining as I don’t always want to carry my jacket.
A good umbrella is a great idea too but I always lose them!
If you do get an umbrella, invest in one that’s sturdy, can withstand windy conditions and of course is light and easy to carry.
- Wear waterproof shoes: It goes without saying, wet feet especially wet socks can quickly ruin a day of sightseeing, so make sure to wear waterproof shoes or boots. Avoid open-toed shoes, as they’ll get soaked quickly.
- Plan indoor activities: If the weather is particularly bad, plan some indoor activities to keep you dry. London has plenty of museums, art galleries, and other indoor attractions to explore.
Why Is It Always Raining In London – FAQs:
Is it true that it always rains in London?
No, it doesn’t always rain in London, but it does rain frequently. The city’s weather patterns are influenced by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and prevailing winds, which bring in moisture and lead to rain.
What is the best time to visit London?
The best time to visit London is during the summer months of June, July, and August, when the weather is warm and dry. However, these months are also peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices.
How can I stay dry in London?
To stay dry in London, make sure to pack a waterproof jacket or umbrella, wear waterproof shoes, and plan indoor activities for particularly rainy days.
Conclusion – Why Is It Always Raining In London? Exploring the City’s Weather Patterns
London may be known for its rainy weather, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all that the city has to offer. By being prepared and knowing what to expect, you can still have a great time exploring London, rain or shine. So, the next time you ask yourself, “why is it always raining in London?” remember that it’s all part of the city’s unique weather patterns.
Mandy Braithewaite is a writer, blogger, and proud resident of Camden Town in North London. She's passionate about sharing her love for the area with others, whether through her website Visitcamdentown.com or her writing about the neighborhood's history and culture.
As a big Amy Winehouse fan, Mandy also enjoys exploring the singer's legacy and sharing recommendations for fans. When she's not writing or exploring Camden, you can find Mandy hanging out in the area's many cafes and music venues, always on the lookout for something new and exciting to discover.
- In and Around CamdenAugust 23, 2023Houses of Parliament Tour in London: My Experience
- FoodAugust 22, 2023Best Restaurants in London for Families: Top Picks for a Fun Meal Out
- In and Around CamdenFebruary 18, 2023Why Is It Always Raining In London? Exploring the City’s Weather Patterns
- ToursMay 12, 2022Take a Private Tour Of London in a Classic Car!